Saturday, May 30, 2009

A flake

Not a cornflake, or a snowflake. Lately I have just been a flake.

Last Sunday at church we were invited by some dear friends to a barbeque for Memorial Day. Luke was up late on Sunday night and took only a brief nap Monday morning, and consequently was crabby and clingy all morning. The thought of driving 45 minutes each way and being out all day with a cranky Luke began to overwhelm me. So, I called and apologized- we were staying home.

This morning, we were going to go on a hike with some people from church in the Angeles National Forest (north of Pasadena). I had been practicing all week with Luke in the back carrier in preparation. I had the impression that the trail we were taking was light-to- moderate, though long. Well, after reading up on the internet last night about the trail, I found, "Route finding was a bit challenging with many day use trails mixed in with the main trail, washed out sections of trail, and over a half dozen stream crossings (bring waterproof boots even when the water is low)." Umm, what was that?!? Waterproof boots? I don't think that I am going to be able to cross streams with 30lbs of wiggliness on my back. Maybe I should have checked out the route before saying that we would go. Ugh.

I do feel like a flake, but I know that I have to do what is best for Luke- at times just bite the bullet and say that I overestimated. Better me a flake, than Luke an over-tired, unhappy kiddo. Even better, me learning to commit to less and not have to flake out in the first place.


1 comment:

Hope said...

Yeah, I do that too. But I wouldn't call it flakiness. We're doing what's best for our children (which will in turn affect ourselves and our husbands positively, because a cranky child makes both parents cranky!)