Thursday, May 7, 2009

New Shoes

Now that Luke is crawling/scooting, I really want him to wear shoes to protect his feet. My dilemma? Baby shoes are expensive(!) and his feet are too deep and wide for many of them.

Also, if I bought some of the cute, expensive, or even not-so-expensive shoes, they have a bunch of patterns and designs on the tops that won't match any of his outfits. Really, alligators are nice, but they don't match his clothes. I want a nice pair of brown shoes that will be comfy and go with what he is wearing. I have brown shoes, black shoes, tennis shoes, etc... and since they are simple, they go with many outfits.

The solution came as I was watching a little boy at playgroup crawl around in some soft, brown corduroy shoes. THAT was what I needed! They were cute and functional and perfect for a baby who was crawling around. I asked his mother where she found them and she told me that another mom who lived near her made them. Made them? You can make baby shoes? Yes, and she only paid about $12 for them.

Later, I found a free pattern online and went to Jo-Ann's for my supplies. Here is the result:


Also, while perusing Etsy, a website carrying beautiful handmade items by small time crafters, I began to dream of setting up my own shop with baby shoes. They are so much fun to make and you can use all sorts of materials from cotton to suede to leather. If anyone is interested in a pair, let me know- I'll make you a deal. :)

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Wow, Katie, those are really cute. Can they be made with some sort of tread on the bottom for older kids who walk? (Clara needs a new pair of slippers--you know how she looooves slippers.)

Katie Jones said...

Yes they can! You can use whatever material your sewing machine can handle. Mine apparently can handle a lot!

Cari said...

Those are awesome! Great job, Katie! Dominic is getting too big and walking too much for those kind of shoes, but I think I am going to need some next year ;)

Anonymous said...

Those are such cute little shoes! (You remind me that I made shoes for Nathan at about this age.) I love the brown corduroy. Oh and btw, you can buy the tread fabric that you find on the soles of sleepers and such. Luke is so blessed to have a mommy who can sew him shoes!! mm

Ma Torg said...

Very cute! If you do ever need a easy pair of shoes like that, Target sells a knock off on Robeez that are about 12 per shoe too.

Bethany said...

I'll pay you to make a pair of slippers for Clara! She outgrew her old ones and was so sad about it. It's hard to find slippers this time of year.

Cole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.