Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Two Tunics

The recent economic woes have troubled me (and really, I think most people). The production department at Nathan's work laid off a dozen or so people last week.

Anyways, I posted the alloted scripture reading from last Sunday. The readings are always so timely and so ageless. Jesus was talking to his disciples about greed and making your life about the things that you have. It seems that in a time like this, the Church can really stand out. We can be calm and trust God, and even still generous with our possessions if we have the means to do so. It seems a time when people want to hoard everything they have. We can remove ourselves from the frantic worry of our nation and give.

Commentary by the Church Fathers about this passage is that the tunic that hangs in your closet is the tunic that belongs to the poor man. That is powerful. I have way too many tunics and way too many pairs of shoes. I went through my closet this week and paired it down (probably still not enough). If anyone needs medium maternity clothes or size 6-8 regular clothes, let me know. Also, I have two brand new pair of dress pants from Ann Taylor that are size 10. Otherwise, off to Salvation Army.

Luke also already has some clothes that he will not wear any more. Most charities around here want only new clothes, but I know that there is a pregnancy care house in Africa that accepts used clothing for babies and pregnant mothers. (I can give contact info to anyone who might want to help too).

The Fathers also commented that the arms of the poor that you help in this life will greet you in heaven. Now I am not sure how literal to take that, but what a beautiful picture!

Here is the parable:

15Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

16And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'

18"Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." '

20"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'

21"This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."

No comments: