Friday, January 16, 2009

Sleep Progress

As I write, Luke is taking his 3rd nap of the day. This is amazing considering that 2 weeks ago he was taking 6 half-an-hour naps a day. Really, you could set a clock by him. The only way to get him to sleep longer was to swaddle him, which I did not want to do during the day so that he can distinguish daytime naps from nighttime sleep.

It is so wonderful that he is now taking longer, less frequent naps. I didn't realize how exhausting it was to put him down six times a day, or how much more I can get done when I have a whole hour instead of a half.

Night time sleeping patterns remain unchanged since he was 2 months old. He has good nights and bad and still wakes up 1-3 times during the night. I have tried several different positions, routines, etc... to get him to sleep longer, but to no avail. Maybe once he begins eating solid food this will change. One nice thing though, is that he does not wake up for long. He wants to be fed, rocked, and put back to sleep. Sometimes all he needs is a little rocking.

Also, Luke never cries when he wakes up. Usually I hear a little "goo, gooo, ooohaaa" coming from his room instead. He is awfully cute!

2 comments:

Ma Torg said...

Ahh, sleep. If it any comfort, Edmund woke up at 2-4 times a night (sometimes more!) until we made him CIO last month.

Lucy is the only one we did the CIO method with when she was 7 months old. If I ever have another child, I will do THAT again.

Katie Jones said...

Really, I am starting to think that the cry-it-out method is not bad when the baby is older and more independent.