Thursday, February 19, 2009

Need Help- Car Seat Recommendations

Luke is very quickly outgrowing his infant car seat (I have 1 and 1/2 lbs left in this one!), so I need to find a new one that he can grow into. I have heard that Britax and Sunshine Kids car seats are the best. My problem is that they are $250-300, which seems like a lot!

Maybe I need a reality check and I just need to fork over the money, but I was wondering if there were any other options. I have looked at countless Graco, Safety 1st, and Evenflo car seats, which are $60-110, but they have such mixed reviews. Some people love them, some hate them. Some people say that they are very safe, others not so much.

My bottom line: I want a safe car seat that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If that is not possible, I will buy the expensive one.

Any ideas?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Katie! I have also heard great things about Britax but could never bring myself to spend $300 on a car seat! We have used several of the less expensive kind and our favorite is Graco. I really like all of their baby products the best out of all of the brands, especially the car seats. We have never had a problem with any Graco car seat and they always last a long time. I hope this helps.

Katie Jones said...

Cari,

We LOVE our Graco Snugride, so at present, I am leaning that way.

Bethany said...

Hi Katie, we've found deals on car seats at places like Marshalls--it's surprising how often they get carseats in there. You might just stop by a store every now and then to check. After using a couple of different ones (both ours and other people's), the Britax is definitely the best. Considering how long Luke is going to be in the car seat, you may want to hold out for the best product.

Anonymous said...

We have the Sunshine Kids Radian 65Sunshine kids is consistently rated the safest carseat on the market. Part of this is due to the fact that unlike any other seat out there, the entire frame is steel, no plastic. We got ours by ordering through target.com (or amazon works too). They usually run about $220, but we got it for $180 when target put it on sale. Definately worth the investment!!

Jen said...

We like the two Graco seats we've had for Katherine so far. When we looked at safety ratings, Graco seemed to do fine. Haven't done comprehensive research though. I'm not so sure about the Styrofoam seat part on our current one, though. Do all car seats use a Styrofoam cushion between the frame and the cover?

Mailleraye said...

Just to give you something else to think about....healthycar.org rate cars eats based on their toxic chemical load. We got the cheapest Evenflo--low chemical load, pretty good reviews, but light on features! I think for the next seat we'll upgrade the features.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Katie, we've been happy with our Graco seats with five point harnesses. They cost about $100 each.