Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Resolution

I am so grateful for good medical and dental care. Doctors and dentists have so much power. They see you usually when you are weakest and most vulnerable. A bad dentist can scar you for a long time. My first SoCal dentist was like that. Now I can't even drive down the street that she is on without feeling a little sick. My new dentist does not take advantage of me. She spent a lot of time with me, told me the options that I had, and didn't even charge me for my check-up today. She has done that before also.

Anyways, the results of today's visit were good. She looked everything over and said that I have no major issues right now. (Whew- big sigh of relief) Just to keep using a mouth rinse and rinsing with salt water in addition to my usual brush/floss routine. She also said that it was good that I came in because she needs to know if I think there is a problem. That helped me psychologically. Yesterday, I spent too much time on WebMD reading about how my pregnancy gingivitis can lead to teeth loss and other very unpleasant things, so I was ready to have her level the boom on me today. (a rarity in commercialized medicine)

I have learned a lot of hard lessons through my teeth experience.

1. Humility- Baring your mouth is kind of like baring your soul to a small degree. You have to do it to expose what is there and begin to take care of it.
2. Courage- Going to the dentist for a procedure that is going to hurt and change your moth forever is hard, but necessary for healing.
3. Trust- Putting a piece of you into the hands of someone else.
4. A good physician is necessary- Along with trust above, having a trustworthy physician is key. Thank goodness we have a good Lord who does not take advantage of us, who loves us, who has sacrificed for us.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I'm so glad that your teeth and mouth are okay. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can I add one thing to the list of things learned from teeth? I recently went to the dentist because of a toothache. I had to have x-rays and cleaning--the whole nine yards. And nothing was wrong. My sinus was swollen from being sick and had pushed on my teeth and caused one of them to bruise. A bruised tooth, huh. Anyway, two hundred bucks later, I began to second-guess myself--should I have gone to the dentist or tried to wait it out? That's when I realized a "rule" of tooth-care: discipline is key. Discipline to brush and floss daily, but also discipline to spend the money and take the time and visit the dentist when necessary. It isn't easy to do. But it's worth it.

So, that's what I learned. And now I'll have x-rays that are good for quite some time!

Anonymous said...

I sure am praying for you(and LJ)God has you both in His Hand. I pray for healing and good strong gums for you. (I too worried about my teeth when I was pregnant-both times)I pray for you dear Katie, for the peace that passes understanding to wash over you. God will complete the good work He has begun in you. mm