- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice ( or soymilk, to make them dairy-free)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil ( can replace most with applesauce to make them lower fat- needs at least 1T of oil)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey or combo of honey and molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
2. Combine oil/applesauce, honey, egg and vanilla in a large bowl.
3. Add in soaked bran mixture and stir until combined.
4. Add flour, soda, powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and stir until combined.
5. Bake at 350 for 10-15 min for regular sized 15-20 minutes for large. Makes one dozen regular.
*Note- these are supposed to be moist. If you over bake them, they will be dry and not very good. I usually just smell and check them to see if they are done (not sure how to say that more precisely in a recipe)
**Since the advent fast is coming, I'll mention that you can substitute an egg replacer or 1T ground flax seed mixed with 1T water for the egg.
Hope you all enjoy!