Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Luke and Rebekah

My sister-in-law, Bethany said once that when you have your first baby, the biggest adjustment is the adjustment in your marriage- from a couple to a little family. When you have your second, the biggest change takes place in the relationship between you and your first child.

This has definitely been true for me. The afternoon when I was in labor, Luke woke up cranky and bewildered from his nap and could not stop crying. I really wanted to comfort him, but I had something else taking up my time and energy. I began to cry and decided that I needed to hold him anyways. We sat and cried together and I really felt the weight of the coming change.

In the hospital, I was away from Luke for two nights. I have never been away from him over night. That was hard too, even though I knew that he was in very capable hands at home- thanks Grammy and Papa! So, I really welcomed his visit the day after Rebekah was born. We took a little snipet of their first encounter which you can see below. In the video he is saying something like "we ate mommy's shirt and she popped out." I still don't know how all of that fits together, but it was so cute to see them together- Luke made a giggly sort of noise upon seeing his "chubby baby," and has been calling her, "baby Gobekah." It is so cute that I'll admit i've called her baby Gobekah once or twice now.

Today we had a first Dr. appt. too. Rebekah is 8lbs 11oz and 21 and 1/4 inches long. They must not have measured her very well in the hospital because the Dr's office took great care to make sure that they had accurate measurements. That puts her in the 92% for height and 75% for weight.

No comments: